Wednesday, June 1, 2016

NYLD//16 Reflection

Going into the National Young Leaders Day, I didn't really have any concrete expectations. I knew that we'd be spoken to by a series of guest speakers but I had no prior knowledge of their backgrounds or what messages they would be relaying to us on the day. 

Words cannot express how inspiring the speakers were. What I found particularly inspirational, was that these were ordinary people who, at some point in their life, had made extraordinary decisions. Decisions that are having a significant impact on the world. 

I was particularly inspired by Billy Graham, a larger than life character who's faced overwhelming obstacles to get to where he is today. Billy was identified as 'special' at an early age by the more judgemental cross-sections of society, in an era where such judgements were routine. During his youth, he met someone who changed his life - a master boxing trainer. I won't recount his life-story here, but if you're interested, check out his website: http://www.billygraham.co.nz/. His ethos is something that resonates with me as a teacher and as a person. Being successful is 10% talent and 90% hard work. I loved his quote "hard work works". Billy Graham is living proof. 

There was an unexpected moment which I found quite moving. They called it 'Attitude of Gratitude'. This was an opportunity for all 2000 or so Young Leaders to take a moment to think about someone in their lives who was and or had an impact. Picture this, 2000 young people all writing letters to the people who mattered most in their lives - in absolute silence. It was a stunning experience. The whole day was in fact. I'm confident that our school student leaders got just as much out of the experience as I did. They are all reflecting as I write this, so please visit their blogs for a different perspective. 


5 comments:

  1. hi i like your picture you look happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi i like your picture you look happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I like the way you have written this, it's very detailed.It's great that the speakers were inspiring. The photo looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great job I know the reason you go there.i remember that time i was there at the NYLD//16 it was me and three others.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Looking forward to reading your quality comment! Try and follow these steps when commenting please:

1. Introduce yourself
2. Give me some feedback on my post - but be specific!
3. Think about something I could do to improve my post - but be specific!
4. Leave your blog address so I can give you some feedback too!

Thanks :)