Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Food Groups & Menu Planning

Today we randomly drew the food groups for the upcoming tramp. Here they are:

Group 1: Isaac K, Connor P, Reed, Connor H, Levi
Group 2: Grace C, Catarina, Kate, Jordin
Group 3: Isaac M, George, Grace W, Cameron
Group 4:, Emma, Alyssa, Calder, Reuben
Group 5: Hannah, Bailey, Jayden, Jonathan

We talked about the fact that they'll need to carry all of their food in. 'Thinking light' without compromising on nutrition and taste is the key! Being smart about how the food is packed is important too as anything that isn't consumed (including plastic packaging etc) will need to be carried back out. 

Students are welcome to bring a packed lunch on the first day or organise this as a group. The group menu will consist of: Dinner, dessert (competition between groups judged by parents), breakfast, lunch and snacks. 

Groups are busy menu planning as I write this. It will be the responsibility of the group to finalise these and coordinate how they want to purchase the food. I've talked about the importance of doing this fairly and not lumping it all on one student or short changing parents!

Each group will be supplied with a cooker and gas. However, each group will need to bring cooking utensils / equipment - pots, pans etc. 

Here are some menu suggestions from my expert wife (have told students to use as a guide only):







6 comments:

  1. Morena Room 8,
    How exciting that you are heading off on a tramp! Where are you going? Looks like you are doing some good planning around your food choices. They will have to be light and easy to carry as well as easy to cook BUT enough to fill you up and keep you full of energy for your walk. I am going on a BIG trek next year, it is called the Inca Trail and it's in Peru. Have any of you heard of that? I will be keen to know the best food choices as I am going to have to pack some good snacks too! Enjoy your tramp.
    Nga mihi nui
    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi my name is nila i am student from room 3.i really like how you used alot of information in you student learning this made me think of the time when i was eating some healthy sbacks.have you thought of puting breakfirst on the top.if you would like to see my learning at http//:blogspotnila.co.nz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi my name is Alipate i am student from room 3.i really like how you used a lot of information in you student learning this made me think of the time when i was eating some healthy snacks.have you thought of puting breakfast on the top.if you would like to see my learning at http//:blogspotalipate.co.nz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi my name is Hingano.I am a student at Wesley Primary school in room 3.I really like how you used a lot of information too.And i also liked that you put this up.It is a really smart idea and it could also help people to have better eating habits.Great job
    If you would like to see my learning it is
    Wpshinganom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi my name is Angelina.I am a student from room 3 at Wesley Primary School.I really like the way you made it interesting and i loved the food you picked it was healthy and good and it made me think of that time i had to decide what i wanted.It was a really good idea because i never thought of that. If you would like to visit my learning it is wpsangelina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi my name William your school is looking healthy everyday can i ask you a question how do you try get your school to eat healthy things this reminds me when i

    tried to make my cousins to eat healthy post on my bloghttps://wpswilliaml.blogspot.co.nz/2016/07/break-free.html?showComment=1478553884671#c8624681953293163086

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Looking forward to reading your quality comment! Try and follow these steps when commenting please:

1. Introduce yourself
2. Give me some feedback on my post - but be specific!
3. Think about something I could do to improve my post - but be specific!
4. Leave your blog address so I can give you some feedback too!

Thanks :)